Wednesday 31 August 2011

Thing 15 - First steps on the road to getting involved

I want to start with an apology - this post contains far too much psycho-analysis.  You have been warned!

Earlier this summer for the first time since I started my current job (nearly three years ago) I asked to attend an event.  It was part of the cpd25 programme and the topic was closely linked to the work I do supporting a subject team (I reflected on the event itself for Thing 5).  It had taken me a while to build up the confidence to ask my line manager for permission to go, this was because of several reasons particularly the issues of cost, being allowed to take the time off work to attend and also at the time I (wrongly) thought events such as these were for other people i.e. those on a higher grade than myself.  However despite these reservations my line manager agreed that I could go.  I discovered that attending events outside your normal place of work can allow you to take a step back, review current practices and give you new ideas to try no matter what grade you happen to be on!  Taking this first small step was important; looking back I feel more confident in taking control of my professional development and will keep an eye out for programmes of events to be held this Autumn.


I am not a good presenter.  I have had a fear of standing up in front of groups of people for as long as I can remember; and I have had my fair share of traumatic experiences at school having to do presentations in front of the rest of the class.  Colleagues have tried to allay these fears by saying it gets easier the more you do it but I just don't believe them.  I find myself asking is it really worth feeling so nervous that you don't want to go to work?  Thankfully due to my grade I don't have to give induction talks to the groups of 200 business students in lecture theatres as the colleagues in my team will have to do very soon.  I have had opportunities to take part in delivering presentations to groups of secondary school children about what it is like to go to university but I shamefully turned these down.  I know that in the long-run this is something that will hold me back in my career, but I also know it is better to be honest with myself about my limitations and be happy doing a job I love rather than having one where I dread going to work because I have a presentation to give.      


However what I lack in terms of presenting skills I make up for in my organisational and written communication skills.  (Yes I'm one of those people who everyone hates: organised, tidy and always on time for everything).  I have had comments from people who have said to me I am in the wrong profession and that I could instead be earning a lot more money by putting my skills to use being a PA to some chief exec/managing director etc.  I think I have always been an organised/methodical type of person; I like writing to-do lists and planning my week in advance.  I think this relates to the fact that I like to be in control of what I'm doing and so being super-organised helps with this.  I definitely feel I could offer my skills to help organise a professional event or by volunteering on a committee; I shall endeavor to investigate some possible ways of becoming more involved in my chosen profession.

1 comment:

  1. Have a go! Try a poster presentation, you won't need to stand up to talk to hundreds. You can use the poster to your advantage with your excellent written skills. Secondly, you still get a presenters discount!!

    Not half as difficult and easier on the nerves. You may find it's a stepping stone to doing the full thing. Presenting to 200 people from around the world who you've never seen before is often easier than presenting to a bunch of students you may see everyday.

    You can always try the interview technique - imagine them naked! :-)

    Nikki

    ReplyDelete