Monday 15 August 2011

Things 11 & 12

Thing 11: Mentoring
After reading the 23 Things blog post about mentoring I am seriously considering finding a mentor, particularly as I have set myself the task of finding a professional post.  So guidance about CV writing / interview technique etc would be very useful from someone who is further on than me in their career.  However I'm not sure who to approach so some serious thinking is required! 


Thing 12: Social Media
(also incorporating Thing 6 as I know I didn't blog about this at the time)
I am going to reflect on how successful/unsuccessful I have been in using the social media tools covered so far. 

Blogging: I set up my blog when I started 23 Things so I still feel like a newbie!  I must try harder to blog about more 'personal' things and build up the confidence to write about my own perspectives on library issues.  Blogging about professional things like the new tools I have been trying out has been a great way to come up with material for my posts, but we are half-way through the 'things' now and I am slightly worried about what I will write about when the programme has finished!  Success rating: 6/10

Facebook and LISNPN: I was already a member of Facebook and LISNPN before I started 23 Things.  I have been a member of Facebook for several years and I use it for keeping in contact with friends; changing my status quite frequently now I have a smart phone.  I consider Facebook as my 'personal' space as I don't think many of my friends would be interested in discussing library issues on there!  I joined LISNPN about a year ago but after my initial interest I am ashamed to say I have not visited it since.  Action: re-visit LISNPN: update my profile and take a look at the forums and resources.  Success rating: 10/10 for Facebook (feeling generous) and 2/10 for LISNPN (I hang my head in shame).


LinkedIn: I have joined and added some very basic information.  This professional network is definitely something I am interested in exploring further.  However I think I will want to spend a lot more time on it to get any benefit out of it (for example creating and updating my CV).  Unfortunately I don't have much time at the moment so it will have to wait for a few weeks when when I can concentrate on perfecting my professional profile :)  I wonder if people put a link to their LinkedIn profile on job applications?  Success rating: 2/10


Twitter: I am hoping this will become a mix of professional/personal.  I have tweeted a few times and I am slowly building up followers and making sense of the interface.  I might set myself a target of tweeting at least once a day - this will make tweeting part of my daily routine plus encourage me to regularly read other tweets in order to pick up on wider library issues.  I shall let you know how this goes!  Success rating: 5/10 (could do much better).

1 comment:

  1. I like the idea of adding a link to LinkedIn on CVs/applications (especially if there is a "social media" section on the job information), and once my profile is up to date, I'll probably do this- if I can work out which space on the form I can squeeze it into!

    ReplyDelete